Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Street Art interview with Matt Small (BBC Blast)



I got to see Mathew Small´s work at the Leonard Gallery in London in 2007. Here´s a nice video where you can get to know the artist a bit more. I also reccomend to check his website. The paintings and prints are worth seeing.

"I paint portraits of people that I meet and I see on the street so I suppose some people call me an urban artist; I just call myself an artist, that´s what I do."
"I am a painter and I paint, I wanna paint something truthfull."
"The city is my canvas as such but I just bring it into my studio. I wanna depict people as I see them and as I observe them. The face communicates so much about the person. That´s what my work is about; it´s about me looking at the individual and trying to communicate that that individual is worth something."
"My work is about not known people, about people that don´t offten get observed."
"The best way of doing art is to have fun, and to experiment and play, and just to have your own ideas, and to have your own reasn why you are doing it."
"Basically art doesn´t have any rules, and whatever anyone tells you you don´t have to listen to it. Technically you can just get on with it and do what´s in your heart, anmd do waht you feel is waht you wanna do." (Matt Small)


http://www.matt-small.com/

No comments: