Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Basquiat (the trailer) by Julian Schnabel



This is a great film by Julian Schnabel about Jean Michelle Basquiat. Jean-Michelle Basquiat (1960-88) was a Haitian American artist. He gained popularity first as a graffity artist in New York City, and then as a successful 1980s-era as a Neo-expressionist artist.

"Basquiat" was the first commercial feature film about a painter made by a painter. The director said:

“I know what it's like to be attacked as an artist. I know what it's like to be judged as an artist. I know what it's like to arrive as an artist and have fame and notoriety. I know what it's like to be accused of things that you never said or did. I know what it's like to be described as a piece of hype. I know what it's like to be appreciated as well as degraded.”

No comments: